Tuesday, June 03, 2008

What the heck... I'll play

We'll, everybody's all in "prom mode", so when Mommy's Martini launched the prom carnival, I figured "What the heck, I'll play." Only because this is one of my all-time favorite memories, AND it's not like I have 15 things I REALLY SHOULD be doing instead! :-)

So, we moved to Alabama the summer before my Junior year (Army brat), and shortly after school started, I managed to luck into dating him:
(shameless plug for gorgeous boyfriend)

But, by the end of that year we were no more, because I was all ego this and "you don't own me" that. Which is a real shame, because I truly loved him. Senior year was rocky, and we were on-again-off-again many times (due to my early-onset menopause), but when it came time for the Junior-Senior Prom, there was only one person I would go with - him. Senior Prom was just too special to me to be spent with anyone else. If the story ended there, it would have been the perfect romantic, fun-filled, best ever time I had in high school. But it was even better.

You see, my sister had a boyfriend, a true love, also. He was from somewhere up north, because, while the folks around him were like "Hey y'all", he was "youse guys" every other sentence. They were both sophomores (read: banned from the Prom), which would have been meaningless, if it weren't for the fact that my family was moving to Pennsylvania that summer [which, for those of you geographically- challenged, is VERY far away from Alabama. The down-side of being an Army brat]. I can't remember exactly how it happened, but I'm sure there were tears involved, which any little sister knows is the FASTEST way to a big sister's heart. I talked it over with "him", and we came up with a brilliant idea: "he" would take my sister to the Prom as his date, and I would take my sister's boyfriend as mine. After separate romantic dinners (I still get wistful when I see a Red Lobster), we met up outside of Prom, and "switched" partners. The site of "him" entering the Prom with my sister, raised a few eyebrows (small town), but they signed in and went on through to find a table. When her boyfriend and I waltzed in a few minutes later, everyone knew what was up, and most folks didn't like it. We each danced with our "official dates" for the first dance, then played switch-eroo for the rest of the evening. Chaperones kept periodically coming up to us to ask who our date was, and we've have to stop dancing and point them out across the room. Folks were furious, some schoolmates too, but the four of us had one amazing evening!
(My sister's the gorgeous one in the green dress, with the perfect hair and the "professionally" applied makeup, who was a tomboy that somehow always managed to look picture-perfect. I am the one with the perm-gone-awry-80's-do, AND the gorgeous date!)

Official Prom P.S.
Guess what I just found while looking for my Air Force photo? Junior-Senior Prom (literally, she was a junior, he a senior) the very next year. Recognize the dress?!! Hands-down looks better on little sis, though she did opt for the sensible heels this time. And how can you tell it was still the 80's?! ...more hair than face!

22 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

We must be in the same age range, because, Girl, I had that hair. But not nearly as much bang height as you and your sis.

BOSSY said...

Too much!

Anonymous said...

What a great story!

Karen said...

Ahh, what a sweet sappy prom story! Glad to know a few people have "that" story!

MommyTime said...

I love this story. Excellent switcheroo -- and I can just imagine how verklempt all the chaperones were with nothing they could do about it! I added you to the linky, by the way -- I don't know why it wasn't working for you before. Thanks for playing along.

Aimee said...

I think your hair looks 80's awesome. And, how sweet of you to do that for your sister. Finally swoon. Your boyfriend looks like a high school dream!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

You both looked amazing!

Anonymous said...

What a great story.. and you are right.. he was a cutie!!

Mary Alice said...

That is a fantastic story. My daughters are close in age and it sounds like something they would cook up!

dharmamama said...

What a great solution! Love the picture.

Anonymous said...

LEE! I love the hair! Love your "Back in the day" stories more than aything!

Anonymous said...

I've got a few sappy eighties movie tunes dancing around in my head now ... that should be fun background music for the day -- great memory (and hair)!

foolery said...

I think you looked great! My prom photos were all frighteningly bad, so that even if I knew where they were I wouldn't post them.

When rules seem arbitrary the best among us figure out how to break them.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant plan, I love it! Do you and your sister have on the same shoes?? Great story!

josetteplank.com said...

OMG, that prom photo is amazingly fabulous! Wow!

MamaMo said...

Mrs. G, we ARE the same age - I had every single hairstyle you listed in your "Life in Hair" piece, and I had the same eyeglasses as you did.

Mommytime, thanks for adding me!

Kelly, they were similar shoes, but you can tell from the angle of our ankles, that hers were high heels and mine... not so much [I wasn't into the whole fancy clothes/hair/makeup thing - though I was the one totally addicted to Barbies and she hated them; go figure!]

Ok, Where Was I? said...

Yea, a story! And yes, your sister is gorgeous, but so are you, perm and all. How clever were you four?!

The Little Sister said...

Ok, wonderful Blog Sis. Yes I agree it was a fun night. I think being tricky and going around the rules was more fun than anything else. 2 pts for the Army Brats.
I also appreciate your compliments, but as my memory goes, you were the natural beauty who all the drop dead gorgeous guys magnatized towards. Even the guys I had eyes for started looking more towards my big sis. I finally got smart and stopped looking at the gorgeous ones and went for cute with great personalities. You want to start slinging compliments.. lets talk about academics. I was a constant disappointment to any teacher who had you in their class first. But no matter the experience it all led to each of us being who we are today and that reasures me that there is a purposeful good in everything- It's all good. I love you infinity!!!!!

MamaMo said...

A big, crying hug to you, pooh bear. But if a compliment-slinging-fest is what you want to get into, then WHO's little sister is it that graduated from college with HONORS?!! and who's big sis was lucky to make it out at all?!!! touché

The Little Sister said...

OK, reply to your Touche- NC State vs. Appalachian State University. No offense ASU, but what else is there to do up in Boone,NC besides study.?

Debbie said...

Okay, I must be older LOL. We all had long straight "ironed" hair. What terrific prom shots and you look beautiful! And your dream man? Wow....debonair!

Loved this story!

Kalynne Pudner said...

This beats the hell out of my duh-let's-wear-our-graduation-year-on-our-sleeves-into-a-bar high school boyfriend story! AND your boyfriend is many times more gorgeous than mine. I'm trying to figure out in which Alabama town this story takes place -- no, NOT because I'm going to try to find your old boyfriend. HONESTLY, girl!